- 1/2 cup raw quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell green peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or undried canned tomatoes (14 oz can)
- 1 cup diced zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Serves 4 to 6
yields about 71/2 cups
preparation time: 20 minutes
Simmering time: 25 to 30 minutes
chopped scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled tortilla chips, and/ or grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack (optional)
Thoroughly rinse the quinoa in a fine-meshed strainer under cold running water. Set aside to drain.
Warm the oil in a nonreactive soup pot, add the onions and salt, cover and cook on medium heat for five minutes stirring occasionally.
Add the drained quinoa , potatoes, bell peppers, coriander, cumin, oregano, black pepper, water or stock, and tomatoes.
Cover and bring to a boil; then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Add the zucchini, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the lemon juice. If desired, serve with a sprinkling of scallions, cilantro, tortilla chips, and/or grated cheese.