- 1 shallot, minced (can substitute with a few scallions.
- 1 garlic clove, minced (try using your scapes)
- 1/4 cup Champagne, red wine or rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound asparagus
- Head butter lettuce, separated into leaves (can substitute with any variety of lettuce)
- Handful of sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese (chèvre)
In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cut off and discard bottom halves of asparagus spears. Cut tops into 2-in. lengths. Cook asparagus, until barely tender for about 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and transfer to a large bowl of ice and cold water. When cool, drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine lettuce leaves and sprouts. Add half of the reserved vinaigrette and toss carefully just until coated. Divide lettuce and sprouts among 4 plates, starting with the largest leaves for the bottom layer. Sprinkle each pile of greens with asparagus, cucumber, bell pepper, and radishes. Drizzle the vegetables with a little more vinaigrette. Place 1 Tbsp goat cheese on each salad and serve with remaining vinaigrette and sea salt for sprinkling if you like.