- 1 lb Italian sausages
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs or seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups (sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 bunch coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves and stems
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
Cut sausage into 1/4-inch pieces. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown sausage. Transfer to bowl. Drain fat from pan. If you prefer, cook before cutting – works just as well.
Add onion to the saucepan and sauté for 5 min. Add garlic, potatoes, Italian herb seasoning, pepper and hot pepper flakes to pan; fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Add water and stock; bring to boil. Return sausage to pan; reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, about 7 minutes.
Add Swiss chard; simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes. Top with Parmesan cheese.