- 2 cups sliced leeks (white and light green portions only)
- 4 small celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed, peeled Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4-5 small carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup half and half)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill + additional for garnish
- 1-2 cloves garlic
In a large saucepan, saute leeks, garlic, and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, potatoes, carrot, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
Transfer to a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan. Whisk a small amount of soup into buttermilk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add dill; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with dill and shredded leek greens if desired.
Yield: 7.5 cups.