- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) soft, fleshy oil-cured black olives, pitted and halved
- 2 ounces (about 1 cup) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces (about 1/3 cup) red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 ounce (about 3 tablespoons) capers, rinsed of salt or brine
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 10 large anchovy fillets, chopped, or additional 1/4 cup black olives
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Salt, to taste
Thin slivers of Parmesan cheese
Buttery crackers, small biscuits or toasted slices of baguette brushed with olive oil, for serving.
Just before serving, combine olives, parsley, onion, capers, garlic, anchovies, if using, and lemon zest in a bowl, and toss well to combine. Add olive oil and black pepper, and mix well. Add lemon juice and salt to taste (ingredients are very salty, so you may need only a small amount). Spoon onto a serving plate, scatter with Parmesan, and serve with crackers, biscuits or toast.