- 1 cup black or white quinoa (grain)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped sugar snap or snow peas
- 2 ounces fennel, very thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, and diced
- 4 French radishes, thinly sliced (you can use any radish or even turnips instead of French Breakfast. Do you have any leftovers?
- 1 cup purslane, washed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- Black pepper
In a medium sauce pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the black quinoa and pinch of salt. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes until quinoa is tender (it will be slightly crunchier than ivory quinoa). Cool completely. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the peas. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender but still have a bite. Drain them and submerge them in ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain well. In a large bowl, combine the black quinoa, peas, fennel, avocado, radishes, and purslane. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately.