- 1 bunch hakurei turnips (approximately six-Makes 1 pint) –Try using kohlrabi slices instead or mixed with turnip)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tea black peppercorns, crushed (try using Jalapenos instead)
- 3 thin slices of ginger (can omit if you do not enjoy ginger)
- A few garlic cloves (optional)
Wash turnips well and slice them thinly on a mandolin. Place turnip slices in a small bowl and toss with the salt. Let rest until there is a pool of liquid on the bottom of the bowl, about 30 minutes. Drain turnips of the salty water and pack into a pint sized mason jar. Add vinegar, sugar, pepper and ginger slices. Apply a watertight lid and shake to combine. Place pickled turnips in the fridge and chill before eating. Pickles can be eaten within an hour of being made and will keep for at least a week.