- 3 tablespoons 1-inch-long snipped chives
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint or tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 12-ounce head red or green leaf lettuce, or a mix, rinsed and spun dry, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons nonpareil capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ricotta salata
Combine all the herbs (there should be a generous 3/4 cup total) and set aside in a small bowl.
In another bowl, add the shallot, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in both oils to form a vinaigrette. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and set aside.
Combine the lettuce, herbs, eggs, and capers in a medium bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir the vinaigrette and add 4 tablespoons. Toss gently. Divide the salad among six serving plates or transfer it to a serving bowl. Garnish with the cheese, and drizzle with more vinaigrette as desired.