- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced or pureed (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounce mixed baby salad greens, washed and spun dry
- 2 medium or 4 small beets, roasted (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut in small wedges or half-moons (see recipe below for roasting instructions)
- A handful of fresh herbs, like chervil, tarragon, parsley and chives, chopped
Whisk together the vinegars, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl or measuring cup. Whisk in the olive oil. Toss with the lettuces, beets and herbs just before serving.
Optional: Add 1 to 2 ounces crumbled feta or goat cheese to the mix.
Advance preparation: You can make the dressing as far ahead as a day or two. In that case, instead of crushing or pressing your garlic, cut it into slivers without cutting through the root end, and marinate it in the dressing. Then remove it before tossing the salad.