- 1 c. (or less) freshly-grated Parmesan cheese or other sharp Italian cheese
- 1-2 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lime or lemon juice, adjusted to taste
- ¼ pound roughly-chopped scapes
- ½ c. olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Optional nuts (raw sunflower seeds, pine nuts, walnuts, pecans, etc.)
- Optional herbs/greens (parsley, basil, arugula, or even some of your braising mix blended together with mixture)
Puree scapes, olive oil, and juice in a blender or food processor until nearly smooth (You can make a smooth paste if you prefer, but most people like a little texture in the pesto). Gently stir in the cheese or gingerly pulse the cheese into the mixture; take it easy as you mix in the cheese to avoid making the pesto gummy by over-blending. Taste and then adjust juice and salt to taste. Store in the refrigerator to use within two or three days; freeze for longer storage in ice cube trays, then transfer to a Ziploc freezer bag once frozen.