- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, or maple syrup optional*
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Lettuce or favorite greens, for accompaniment
- Assortment of salad ingredients, such as cherry tomatoes, chopped carrots, sliced red onion, chopped celery, diced cucumbers, walnuts
- Blue cheese, for garnish. I like to incorporate some of the blue cheese into the vinaigrette as well. It makes it creamy and rich.
Beat the vinegar in a bowl with the optional sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until sugar and salt dissolves. Then beat in the oil by droplets, whisking constantly. (Or place all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine.) Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Toss a few tablespoons of the dressing with the salad mix and desired salad ingredients, top with blue cheese and serve immediately.
If not using dressing right away, cover and refrigerate, whisking or shaking again before use.
This dressing is one of my favorites. I like to roast sunflower seeds with a touch of soy sauce or tamari, then sprinkle on top of these salads.